Hey all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted a podcast, but I do intend to start publishing interviews on a more regular schedule. Not quite sure what that will look like yet (thinking of starting with biweekly and seeing where that goes).
Today I have a real treat. I was able to get Chris DeMuth Jr. of Rangeley Capital on the show for a brief half-hour interview about how he’s approaching markets amid this COVID-19 crisis.
Chris is a partner at New Canaan, CT hedge fund Rangeley Capital, where he primarily invests in event-driven, value-oriented opportunities. He also hosts a SeekingAlpha Marketplace community called Sifting the World, where he publishes research on “mispriced bets,” with a skew towards value investing. Some examples include odd-lot going-private transactions, merger arbitrage, funds trading at discounts to NAV, etc.
I asked Chris about how he’s finding opportunities among the massive volatility in the March 2020 financial markets, as well as how to “sift the world,” in a general sense, within and without the markets.
- BWIC (bids wanted in competition process) – Chris says one of his favorite investing processes in 2008 was BWIC, which involved getting calls from portfolio managers or broker-dealers looking to sell a basket of securities. If you were a bit confused by the process like I was, here’s some links where you can get more insight:
- Chris DeMuth Jr. on SeekingAlpha
- Chris DeMuth Jr. on the SeekingAlpha Marketplace Roundtable Podcast
- Chris DeMuth Jr. and Rangeley portfolio manager Andrew Walker interviewed during the Hedgeye Investing Summit
- Chris DeMuth Jr. interviewed on the MicroCap Investing podcast
If you like the podcast, please consider leaving a review on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. Also, please subscribe to the podcast on your preferred provider, whether that’s YouTube, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, etc.
If you’d like to be notified via email when I release new shows, please sign up for the newsletter here.
If you’d like to email me to suggest I try to get a specific guest on the show, give me tips on my audio, or any reasons, you can reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please keep in mind that all material published or distributed by Stock Market Stories and related entities is subject to our investment disclaimer. Financial markets carry a high level of risk, and you can lose your entire investment. No securities mentioned are a recommendation to buy or sell.